Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: 12 February

Every Saturday, Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings poses a question for fellow genealogy and family history bloggers to research and answer. He calls it Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. Tonight, he asked us to list our favorite song. Honestly, I couldn't decide. Mine favorite changes frequently based on mood and so on. So I decided to answer last week's question which sounded like fun.

What day of the week was your Grandfather born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
I've not written much about my maternal grandfather, Gustav "Gust" Lange. So I'm picking him for this project. Gustav Lange was born on 12 February 1888 in Lutsk, Russia. The area is now part of Ukraine.  I've always had his birth date, which I got from my father's family tree and he knew from my Mom, Gustav's daughter. When we cleaned out Mom and Dad's house prior to selling it, I brought home all Dad's genealogy files. I found Gustav's Russian birth record:


Gustav Lange's Russian birth papers. Russia did not convert to the
Gregorian calendar until 1922, which I believe is the reason for the
discrepancy in the dates listed and the date Grandpa celebrated
his birthday

What has happened in recorded history on your Grandfather’s birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
On 12 February these historical events happened:

  • 1793 -- Congress enacts the first fugitive slave law
  • 1865 -- Rev. Henry Highland Garnet, the first African-American to address the House of Representatives, preaches to the House on slavery and the Civil War
  • 1912 -- The last emperor of China abdicates
  • 1986 -- Anatoly Scharansky released from a Soviet gulag
  • 1999 -- President Clinton acquitted

What famous people have been born on your Grandfather’s birth date?  Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
I used Biography.com to find these famous people. There were many more, but I chose not to list entertainment and sports celebrities.


Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
It occurred to me I could print out a birthday calendar from my family tree and do this type of post almost forever...well, at least 365 times!

No comments:

Post a Comment